Any new building, additions to your home or business or most other work done requires a permit and/or inspection and by an appropriate professional. This page outlines the village's building department requirements and processes.
For information on Zoning and Development, click here.
Building Permit Process
The process below is relevant to the following permit types. All permit applications must be submitted and received before work begins. It is common that projects require more than one permit.
- Building Permit for new buildings (homes, businesses, sheds, accessory buildings, etc), roof repair or replacement, submit Roofing Questionnaire with building permit application), deck repair or replacement.
- Electrical Permit for new buildings, air conditioner work, or any project that includes electrical work. Fee required, noted in the application.
- Mechanical Permit for new buildings or any project that includes mechanical work. Fee required, noted in the application.
- Plumbing Permit for new buildings or any project that includes plumbing work. Fee required, noted in the application.
The process for submitting a building, mechanical, electrical, or plumbing permit is as follows:
If you have any questions about building permits, call Village Hall at 269-429-1802, or the appropriate inspector.
- Contractor or homeowner submits permit application, required supplemental documentation (stated on the application) and payment. Payment is based on the cost of the work being done. The process will not move forward until payment is received. Building Permit fees can be found on the Building Fee Schedule. All other fees are noted on the application.
- For new homes or buildings, when applicable, applicants must submit:
- Building Permit Application
- Electrical Permit Application
- Mechanical Permit Application
- Plumbing Permit Application
- All associated permit application fees
- 5 copies of the site plan
- Once application, supporting documents and fee is received by the village, work can begin. To confirm receipt of permit application, applicant can call village hall.
- Site Plan review by the Planning Commission is required for the following zoned areas before work begins.See zoning map for village zones. Check the Planning Commission page for meeting schedule. If this is required, village staff will contact the applicant to confirm.
- C1 General commercial districts
- C2 Central Business districts
- I2 Industrial districts
- R1, R2, R3, R4 for all uses other than single-family and two-family dwellings and their accessory buildings and uses
- All special land uses
- All developments to be located in a wetland or within a 100-year floodplain.
- Permit is processed by the village Clerk and sent to relevant inspector for review.
- Inspector reviews application. If it is a larger project, the inspector will call the applicant to schedule a check-in inspection prior to project completion.
- When project is complete, applicant must call the relevant inspector to complete an inspection. If this is not scheduled before the permit expires, typically within 1 year, then the process will begin again. Inspector contact information can be found on this page.
Fence Permit is required prior to any work. A $30 administrative fee must be submitted with the application.
Other Building Department Permits
Rental Unit Registration for all rental units, long and short term. A $35 inspection fee must be submitted with the application. Other requirements are outlined in the application.
Right of Way Permit required to close a village road due to work being performed
Sign Permit for any new sign to be put up in the village. $30 fee per sign.
Permits may be:
- Email to [email protected]
- Faxed to 269-429-7391
- Dropped in the Dropbox outside of Village Hall
- Mailed to:
Village of Stevensville
5768 St. Joseph Ave.
Stevensville, MI 49127