In November, the Stevensville Village Council and Planning Commission adopted ordinances to allow for and regulate recreational marijuana retailers in the village in order to utilize the sales tax revenue to complete much needed road projects. A summary of the rules are as follows:
Below is a timeline of events and is regularly updated with relevant information. All meeting minutes can be found here.
- Only recreational retailers are allowed, all other license types prohibited
- Up to 2 retailers along Red Arrow Highway with the following conditions: only allowed on C1 zoned properties, must be at least 500 feet from a church or school and 2,500 feet from another retailer, not allowed next to or across the street from a residential zoned parcel.
- Special Land Use Permit required with specific regulations on lot size, lighting, parking, odor control, security and operating hours.
July 13, 2022 6:00 p.m.: Abonmarche gave a presentation to the village council about the assessment of village roads which identified at least $5 million in road projects in the next 10 years.
August 9, 2022 6:00 p.m.: The Village Manager presented information to the village council about funding to complete the recommended road repairs. Additional funding sources are required to address recommended repairs.
August 24, 2022 6:00 p.m.: The Village Council heard a presentation from village lawyer and village manager about state cannabis laws, common local regulations and discussed the steps needed to allow cannabis retailers in the village.
September 8, 2022 5:30 p.m.: The Planning Commission reviewed and discussed the draft zoning ordinance amendment that outlines the Special Land Use Permit requirements for marijuana retailers in the village.
September 13, 2022 6:00 p.m.: The village manager presented a draft zoning ordinance amendment to allow for and regulate marijuana retailers in the village to the village council for discussion and feedback.
October 6, 2022 5:30 p.m.: The Planning Commission held a public hearing on the draft zoning amendment and voted to recommend it for council consideration.
November 7, 2022 6:00 p.m.: Village Council held a public hearing to hear public comment on the marijuana zoning amendment ordinance and the regulatory ordinance. The presentation on the proposed locations, regulations and rationale for the ordinances can be found here.
November 9, 2022 6:00 p.m. Village Council voted to approve the marijuana ordinances to allow retailers in the village.
December 14, 2022 6:00 p.m. Village Council passed an update to the fine and fee schedule to add a $5,000 application fee for marijuana retailer application. The Village Council decided to table the resolution to set the dates to begin accepting applications for marijuana retailers.
January 11, 2023 6:00 p.m. Village Council made the following decisions:
The village manager gave a presentation on how the council came to approving marijuana retailers, an overview of the ordinances and next steps.
- Approved language for ballot initiative asking voters to prohibit marijuana businesses in the village, stemming from a petition.
- Delayed initial retailer application receipt period until after results from May election
- Delayed placing a road millage of 2.7025 on the May ballot until after results from May election
Village of Stevensville Marijuana Zoning Ordinance Amendment
Village of Stevensville Marijuana Regulatory Ordinance
Proposed Village map of eligible parcels
Marijuana Retailer Fact Sheet
Michigan Cannabis Regulatory Agency
Michigan Regulation and Taxation of Marijuana Act 2018